[Coral-List] Public Perception of Management Effectiveness

Arrecifes de coral corales2006 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 13:45:20 EST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

The next 5th of December in Colombia We are
celebrating the 6th National Day of the Reef. This is the opportunity for
reflections about the performance of the indicators of coral reef management effectiveness and the perceptions of the general public about them. In the Foundation ICRI
Colombia in Pro of Coral Reefs as a non-governmental organization, we http://icri-colombia.es.tl/Equipo-de-Trabajo.htm
have developed an Independent National Network of Volunteer Observers and
Reporters of the Reef called RENOVOS http://icri-colombia.es.tl/A-k2--Asesor%EDa-a-Autoridades-Ambientales-y-Pesqueras.htm
and We provide a two-way feedback and a bridge of communication between the
stakeholders, users, academia, private sector and the authorities to improve
coral reef management effectiveness. The research on coral reef management
effectiveness provides meaningful results to plan improvements in managemetn effectivenss but faces similar treatment of little
funding, as mentioned in earlier message by Dr. Eugene Shinn (Subject: Chronic
nutrient enrichment increases prevalence and, severity of coral disease and
bleaching). These kind of studies need to be independent to avoid biases but
they should receive support in order to plan objective improvements on coral
reef management.  In Colombia, We have
evidence of overfishing, pollution, sedimentation on coral reef,  therefore We encourages the authorities to pay
attention to the perceptions of the general public and act accordingly to avoid
further deterioration of coral reefs. Our Foundation encourages to implement co-management
as the resolution adopted by the members of ICRI Secretariat. To diminish the sewage water pollution. Among many other recomendations to the environemntal and fisheries authorities of colombia: First,  We recommend to update and regulate the coral reef fisheries to increase the catches of lionfishes and diminishes the catches of native commercial species populations that have signs of overfishing. http://icri-colombia.blogspot.com/2011/04/no-pescar-pez-loro-si-pescar-pez-leon.html Secondly, to adapt and built contructions with systems to re-use water (gray waters) and treat water for biofuel energy production; instead of throwing away the polluted water to rivers and waters close to coral reefs. Third, We advice not to allow dredging nor oil exploration close to coral reef areas.
SIGANOS por : TWITTER https://twitter.com/ArrecifesCoral
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fundaci%C3%B3n-Iniciativa-Arrecifes-Coralinos-de-Colombia/317788734923862
Cordial saludoNohora Galvis Directora Ejecutiva http://www.linkedin.com/pub/nohora-galvis/40/435/baFundación ICRI (International Coral Reef Initiative) Colombia en Pro de los Arrecifes Coralinos- ONG sin ánimo de lucro NIT 900244099-0