[Coral-List] Reef Habitat Monitoring

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Fri Dec 13 14:33:19 EST 2013

It seems to me that the only water quality issues in which it is currently
practical to intervene on large scales are nutrients, sediments, trash
(plastic bags, fishing gear, etc.) and toxins -- mostly via proper watershed
and fisheries management. The range of potential toxins is quite large
(caffeine, estrogen, oils, various medications, pesticides, heavy metals,
etc.).

If one wants to do early warning for issues associated with climate change,
then temperature, pH, storm wave height, etc. would be useful, especially if
selected according to the input requirements of particular models. These
factors are also useful for understanding analytically 'what happened' when
we see particular problems, such as bleaching, disease, or (most frequently)
death of benthos or fish from unknown causes. However, they help with
intervention only indirectly.

There are recent advances in in-situ nutrient monitoring. For an X-Prize,
one could improve those, and go after the more difficult issue of monitoring
anthropogenic toxins.

Hope that helps get things started...

John