[Coral-List] SMBE Conference PuertoRico, June 2014 - Call for Abstracts - Establishing a "Global Invertebrate Genome Alliance" (GIGA) for Comparative Genomics

Christian R Voolstra christian.voolstra at kaust.edu.sa
Tue Dec 17 10:59:24 EST 2013

Dear colleagues and friends,

There will be a symposium entitled "Establishing a "Global Invertebrate Genome Alliance" (GIGA) for Comparative Genomics" at SMBE 2014 to be held in Puerto Rico from June 8-12, 2014.

We aim to bring together researchers that help comprise a "Global Invertebrate Genome Alliance" (GIGA - http://giga.nova.edu). This community of scientists (COS) was only recently forged in 2013 with the ultimate aim to cooperatively sequence or analyse whole genomes and transcriptomes of approximately 7,000 selected invertebrates, with a focus on non-insect, non-nematode marine taxa. A white paper is available at the Journal of Heredity, which outlines GIGA's goals, data and methodological standards (http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/content/105/1/1.full).

This symposium is organized by Jose V. Lopez (Nova Southeastern University), Todd Oakley (UCSB), and Christian R Voolstra (KAUST). It addresses modern genome technology with the history of life, and will be another step in helping the GIGA community to grow and exchange ideas in a molecular evolutionary context.

The presentations will be selected from the submitted abstracts at the SMBE web site (https://mcidublin.conference-services.net/authorlogin.asp?conferenceID=3958&language=en-uk).

We are looking forward to your participation and abstract submission.

Best Regards,
Chris, Joe & Todd
--

this email.