[Coral-List] Protected Goliath Grouper under attack

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 27 13:09:55 EST 2013

Dear Coral-Listers,In the past, I have shared Goliat Grouper research and conservation in this forum.You can refresh your memory scrolling through my blog http://grouperluna.wordpress.com/
On January 7, 8 and 9, 2014, the Joint Council Committee on South Florida Management issues, will held several Goliath Grouper meetings. On the table, the very real possibility of lifting the moratorium for this critically endangered species. Please, check my blog to see why eliminating protection for this species is not supported by science.
If you are in Florida, please consider attending the meeting and provide input during the public comment periods. Here's the agendahttp://www.gulfcouncil.org/council_meetings/agenda/Agenda%20Jt%20South%20Florida%20and%20Goliath%20Grouper%20Steering%20Committee_120913.pdf
If you are unable to attend the meeting, please consider writing directly to the steering committee listed in the agenda above. Contact me off list if you require their official emails.
In addition of providing input to the meeting (by attendance or by writing) please consider signing this petition to continue protection of Goliath Grouper. It was initiated by recreational SCUBA divers, and it will be delivered directly to the Florida governor, senators and representatives.http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/save-the-goliath-grouper.fb74?source=s.icn.fb&r_by=9733579
If you still have any burning questions about Goliath groupers for which you can't find the answers in all the links provided above, contact me directly off list, and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.
All the best
Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Coordinator Reef Rescuers ProgramIsland Conservation Centre Nature Seychelles,Amitie, Praslin, Seychelleshttp://www.natureseychelles.org-and-Research CollaboratorSmithsonian-National Museum of Natural Historyat Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FL, USATwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent..academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres