[Coral-List] recreation and non-commercail fishing restrictions and engagement

Shortfin Mako Shark shortfin_mako_shark at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 10:41:07 EST 2013

You bring up a great point; however, the original question was not about available datasets; it was about managing recreational fisheries. Yes, you are correct that MRFSS is managed by the states through NMFS and it is the largest source of recreational fishing information; however, this is based on information collected through a voluntary program. Currently, there are no requirements for recreational anglers to participate in this survey or any form of survey (face-to-face, mail, or phone) including observer coverage.

The recreational fishing sector has been difficult to understand in terms of effort, catch, and other metrics since the variability is so large. More importantly, the sample size is so small in comparison to the universe that many quesiton its use and reliability. Despite these issues, the data are widely used for many purposes, including stock assessments.

Juan

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.