[Coral-List] recreation and non-commercail fishing restrictions and engagement

Christopher Hawkins chwkins at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 18:02:37 EST 2013

Aloha Mark et al.-

My post was intended to provide a contact for folks interested in following up on questions and engagement re non-commercial fishermen here in the NMFS Pacific Islands Region, given some of the comments and questions in the various posts.

But your point is well taken. There is a major push nationally to improve understanding of recreational fishermen and their catch and effort. Hence the new MRIP.

In Hawaii we continue to struggle to obtain valid and reliable estimates. For many of our species estimates, the standard deviation is quite high. The state does not have a recreational saltwater license from which to survey, and the current sampling approach has a number of known and unknown biases.

We are working with federal and state partners, and academia, on new survey protocols and expansions, and Dave Itano's hire will help on a number of other fronts as well.

Stay tuned!

Best,
Chris