[Coral-List] ScienceOnline Oceans Conference: How can marine scientists use the internet for collaboration, data sharing, and outreach?

David Shiffman david.shiffman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:06:22 EST 2013

Hello, everyone!

I'm thrilled to officially announce a conference that will be held at the
University of Miami October 11-13th. ScienceOnline Oceans will focus on how
scientists, conservationists, and science communicators can use the
internet for collaboration, as well as for public education, outreach, and
broader impacts. It is affiliated with the extremely popular and successful
North Carolina based ScienceOnline meeting, but will be geared towards
ocean science. Discussions will be broadly applicable to other disciplines,
however.

The event will include an all-star panel discussion on marine conservation
issues, a day of conference-style programming and training workshops, and a
day of field trips allowing our attendees to explore Florida's coastal and
marine environment.

If you're a marine scientist who uses online tools for your research or for
outreach, this is the perfect conference for you. If you're a marine
scientist who wants to learn how to use these tools (as well as general
education and outreach strategies) from the best in the business, this is
also the perfect conference for you. We also expect a high number of
journalist attendees, so ScienceOnline Oceans will be a great place to get
the word out about your research.

We'll be taking abstract submissions from those who want to present
sometime in March. In the meantime, please help spread the word to
interested colleagues (by forwarding this message), and please let me know
if you are interested in volunteering to help organize the event.

For more information, please see my blog post:

http://www.southernfriedscience.com/?p=13959

Sincerely,
--

*David Shiffman*
*Ph.D. Student, Research Assistant,*

[image: RJD]

*e: *david.shiffman at gmail.com | *p: *412.915.2309
*a: *4600 Rickenbacker Cswy, Miami, Florida, 33149
*t: *@WhySharksMatter <http://twitter.com/#%21/WhySharksMatter> | *b: *Southern
Fried Science Blog <http://www.southernfriedscience.com/>