[Coral-List] Exotic vs. Invasive.

Laura Valderrama lauravalderramab at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:37:21 EST 2013

Hi all:

>From my point of view and understanding, the difference between "exotic"and
"invasive" depends on the way the specie is establish in the new habitat.
Thus I daresay all invasive species are exotic but not all exotic are
invasive. For instance the lionfish is considered an invasive specie due to
its rapid dispersion, ample diet, is an aggresive predator and consequently
the impacts on the dynamics of invaded ecosystems, specially coral reefs
are strong, negative and affects its functionality.

That's what I think define the difference, more than if its beuty or
horrible, that very subjective. In fact multiple people likes lionfish and
that is also why the fish is traded for aquariums, while other people
considered it horrible and scaring!

Greetings,

--
Laura Valderrama Ballesteros