[Coral-List] removal of rigs

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:09:07 EST 2013

Old rigs in the Gulf of Mexico could become new energy sources. A nice set of solar panels and windmills set up above the water line. Because the rigs are cabled to the coastline, they can send the electricity produced in this way for use in the mainland. Maintenance of such green energy installations will generate jobs (you need maintenance crews to visit periodically and make sure the panels and windmills are in tip top shape).
Below the water line, the rigs will continue to provide habitat for many fish and coral species. This in turn will keep the jobs of charter fishing boats and will keep tourists coming to scuba dive and fish the rigs.
Spread the idea. Hey, if someone uses it, keep my name in the loop. If you need an environmental impact study to evaluate this approach, I can do it too.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.
Twitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres