[Coral-List] removal of rigs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 19 15:15:49 EST 2013

   As is often the case, the devil is in the details. Somehow these rigs need
   to cut down to a depth that does not comprise a navigational hazard. At the
   same time they would need to be shallow enough to promote continued reef
   growth and fish habitat. In addition, there remains the issue of continued
   inspection of the well heads and remaining pipe line to protect against
   undetected oil leaks.
   It's likely that the oil companies would prefer to simply abandon them in
   the  name  of  conservation  "to protect" these newly developed marine
   ecosystems. Blowing them up is a bad idea as it reflects both poor policy
   and pardon the pun, a lack of deep understanding of the ecological issues
   involved.
   The fact that environmental groups don't want to intervene is likely a
   result of the animus that has developed between them and the oil companies.
   Ironically, I believe they are missing out on an much needed opportunity to
   promote a dialogue on this and other issues of significance. I hope this
   isn't becoming another proverbial example of adversaries who never miss an
   opportunity to miss an opportunity!
   Regards,
    Steve