[Coral-List] Exotic vs. Invasive - Lionfish control

August Heim august.heim at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 13:12:39 EST 2013

The native species have been in decline for quite some time prior to Lionfish appearing on our coastal reefs.  And not due to Lionfish but those other evils.

On the positive, at least Lionfish grow rather quickly, unlike the native groupers and can provide a base prey animal for eels and sharks etc. which latter left our reefs 25 years ago.  Also, most likely the venom will retreat in potency due to water differences and diet or preditors will adapt to it making then stronger.  And since these fish are genetically self-similar it is possible they will die out on their own.  Who knows.

On the clubbing seals comment, I can agree that science chooses which mistakes of man are warranted and which are not.  We are killing Pythons in Florida for much the same reason.  But, there were Pythons in Florida 10k years ago. So maybe we just brought them back… only different ones.   We brought Mongooses to the UVI's two hundred years ago purposefully based on science.

Only time will tell whether or not Lionfish being in the Eastern Atlantic is good or bad overall and there is little to nothing we can do about.  We can't find all of them.