[Coral-List] Coral Reef Conservation....

J. Michael Nolan mnolan at rainforestandreef.org
Thu Feb 21 14:34:20 EST 2013

List Members....

>From our Friend and Partner in Cairns, Australia....Andy Lewis, Ph.D out of Cairns, Queensland, Australia. Some links to some of his other Marine Images are farther down the page. Very talented young guy and any time you want to do a Field Course using Lizard Island on Australia's Great Barrier Reef, and Andy's outstanding Australian Guides on the Mainland....please feel free to contact me.

Also, some video taken from Papua New Guinea with a Canon 5d Mk2 35 mm camera at the bottom.

Thank you and apologies for the cross-posting.

Mike Nolan....see below

Link: Coral Reefs: Too Precious to Lose also here....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwHcwpcGaM8&feature=youtu.be

I have been collecting underwater reef panorama images at various locations around the Indo-Pacific for several years now, using software to merge four or five individual shots into a large mosaic which gives a good impression of the reef structure and coral community.

Discussions with well known WA landscape artist and friend Larry Mitchell sparked the desire to use the power of the images to raise awareness about the plight of coral reefs, not just in terms of how much has already been lost, but also in terms of how much good quality reef still exists and warrants protection, particularly from environmental changes associated with climate disruption.

The sequence also forms a permanent record of how these reefs looked at a particular place and time, you will see the date and GPS coordinates under each image. Marine biologists will further enjoy examining spatial variations in community structure and coral cover using the image sequence.

I hope to be able to exhibit the works in their full detail at some point in the near future, and perhaps offer a book as well. In the interim, this short video illustrates the concept. Please view in 720 HD for best image quality, and please circulate among your networks as you see fit.

I will of course be adding more to the collection this year!

best wishes

Dr Andy Lewis, Ph.D.

http://rainforestandreef.org/sp/australia/australiaa.htm

http://rainforestandreef.org/sp/australia/australiab.htm

http://rainforestandreef.org/sp/australia/australiac.htm

http://www.tevenei.com/tvm/mi_home.htm

http://www.redbubble.com/people/neoniphon

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151108626698026.450690.592053025&type=1&l=f415306d76

Australia Stock Photos

www.reefecoimages.com

Papua New Guinea: http://vimeo.com/7937756 Papua New Guinea

----------

If we are on another line or away from the phone, please leave your number, best time to return your call and your e-mail address.

After hours and weekend phone appointments are available upon request.

Sincerely,

J. Michael Nolan, Director

Rainforest and Reef

"Outstanding-Affordable Field Courses in Rainforest & Marine Ecology"

Destinations and Field Courses that we Specialize in:

North America....Alaska (Southeast and the Interior), Hawaii, British Columbia, the Florida Keys and Everglades National Park

Caribbean....The Islands of Curacao and Dominica

Central America....Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panamá

South America....Bolivia, Brazil, Ecuador and The Galápagos Islands and Péru

Mexico....The Baja Peninsula (especially during the Spring Whale Migration and Breeding season)

East Africa....Kenya, Tanzania and Zanzibar Island

Australia and New Zealand

Birding, Photography, Botanical Garden Tours are available upon request to most Destinations that we offer.

The following "Research Expeditions" are now also available upon request...Endangered Species of Brazil; Macaws and Primates of the Peruvian Amazon (Tambopata-Candamo Reserve Zone) and Endangered Sea Turtles of Costa Rica (widecast.org).

Spanish/Cultural Immersion Programs are available in Costa Rica, Panamá, Ecuador, Perú, Bolivia and Spain.

Sea Kayaking is available in British Columbia, Southeast Alaska, Baja Mexico, Belize and The Galápagos Islands.

References/Comments from past Group Leaders and Individual Participants can be found at our Website (http://rainforestandreef.org/comments.htm), many more are available upon request.

Rainforest and Reef
161 Main St.
Coopersville, MI 49404
Local/International Phone: 1.616.604.0546
Toll Free U.S. and Canada: 1.877.255.3721
Fax: 1.616.604.0546
Google Talk/Skype: travelwithrandr
AOL IM: buddythemacaw
E-mail: mnolan at rainforestandreef.org and travelwithrandr at gmail.com
Note: Please send inquiries to both e-mail addresses
Web: http://rainforestandreef.org (under revision for 2013 and beyond)