[Coral-List] Satellite imagery showing coral reef destruction in South China Sea

Lance W Smith ambulumatali at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 12:00:24 EST 2013

Dear Coral Listers: I just wanted to get the word out about a disturbing
practice I just learned about. The Spratly Islands in the South China Sea
consist of hundreds of coral atolls that are part of a territorial dispute
between the surrounding countries. This article by the Asia Pacific Defense
Forum (a US Department of Defense publication) includes detailed satellite
imagery showing coral reef destruction in the Spratlys, apparently by giant
clam collection:

http://apdforum.com/en_GB/article/rmiap/articles/online/features/2012/12/26/china-sea-ecology