[Coral-List] "A Glimmer of Hope for Coral Reefs"

Michael Risk riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Tue Jan 8 09:08:30 EST 2013

Hi Doug.

Some of the recent postings put me in mind of passengers on the Titanic saying to each other, "It's OK, the Carpathian will pick us up."

Rather than see so much excellent work devoted to finding corals that can survive hot oceans, or dredging remnants up from deep reefs to fill the gaps, I would rather see more effort given to trying to initiate change in those governments and industries that have put reefs on their present downward trajectory. And the cynic in me thinks that some of those same governments and industries are delighted to see us clutching at straws.

Mike