[Coral-List] Ph.D. Opportunities in Coral Reef Fish Ecology @ Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi

Hogan, James James.Hogan at tamucc.edu
Tue Jan 8 09:17:26 EST 2013

The Hogan Lab in the Department of Life Sciences at Texas A&M – Corpus Christi has opportunities for 1 or 2 graduate student positions to start in Summer or Fall 2013.  We are looking for enthusiastic and highly self-motivated students at either the M.S. or Ph.D. level interested in working in coral reef ecology in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.  Potential areas of research include: 1) connectivity among populations of reef fishes; 2) the effects of invasive Lionfish (Pterois) on native reef fish populations; and 3) reef fish population dynamics.

Our approach to research is multi-disciplinary and involves advanced population genetic analyses, biogeochemistry (including otolith microchemistry) as well as intensive field-based observational studies using SCUBA. We seek conscientious and energetic students that can work independently as well as participate in a highly collaborative lab environment. We are particularly interested in applicants that have experience with microsatellite fragment analysis and/or with basic genetic laboratory techniques such as PCR and gel electrophoresis. SCUBA certification is highly desirable.

Texas A&M – Corpus Christi offers competitive graduate teaching assistantships, and in-state tuition rates for out-of-state and international graduate students.  We highly encourage students to apply for fellowships such as NSF, EPA Star and others and expect students to collaborate in small grant writing to fund their projects.  Research assistantships may also be available.

TAMUCC (The Island University) is an Emerging Research institution, located on its own island surrounded by the waters of Corpus Christi and Oso bays and only miles from the Gulf of Mexico. The Department of Life Sciences boasts a number of research facilities, including a state of the art genomics facility. Corpus Christi is in the heart of the South Texas Gulf Coast region, which offers a rich blend of culture, nature and entertainment. The city is only miles from the South Padre Island National Seashore, and miles of beautiful beaches. Corpus Christi is also home to world class windsurfing, kite surfing and recreational fishing.

To apply, please submit (1) a letter of interest describing your career goals and research interests, (2) CV, including past research experiences and prior publications, and (3) contact information for three references to Dr. J. Derek Hogan; email: James.Hogan at tamucc.edu, website: http://derekhoganresearch.wordpress.com/.