[Coral-List] Majuro video

SavercoolD at aol.com SavercoolD at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 09:44:35 EST 2013

I  provided the following information privately to Dean Jacobson this past
March --  not wanting to bore the group with too much regulatory
mumbo-jumbo, but since  regulations and policy are now being discussed, I figure it's
time to throw in  my 2-cents.  While reading, please keep in mind that I am a
scientist  (estuarine benthic ecologist by training and practice) but have
spent the past  30 or so years trying to navigate the environmental
regulatory minefields  in the US.
Given  that the Marshall Islands are not a US Territory or Commonwealth, I
don't  believe they are required to follow US law and policy (unlike Guam,
CNMI,  American Samoa, and the US possessions of Baker, Howland, Kingman
Reef, Jarvis,  Johnston, Midway, Palmyra, and Wake Islands - not counting those
in the Atlantic  and Caribbean).  As such, it seems as if the National
Environmental Policy  Act (NEPA) is silent regarding operations outside US
properties (Territories,  possessions, and Commonwealths).  Also, the EO that you
refer  (13089) for the protection of coral reefs is not the order to focus
on for this  issue – it too is silent about properties outside the US.
Instead,  focus on EO 12114, Environmental Effects Abroad of Major Federal
Actions.  This is the EO of concern.
Since  some of the funding is originating from the FAA, FAA Orders 1050.1E
(Environmental Impacts: Policies and Procedures) and 5050-4B (National
Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Implementing Instructions for Airport Actions)
are relevant.  FAA Order 1050.1E primarily discusses FAA’s interpretation
of the Council on Environmental Quality’s (CEQ) NEPA language.  But FAA
Order 5050-4B, and in particular section 208 – Airport Actions Significantly
Affecting a Foreign Country directs FAA's procedures for implementing NEPA in
 foreign countries.
Forgive me if  you already know this, but let me provide a bit of general
background.  In  the 1960’s the US government began to develop environmental
regulations and  policies for actions undertaken by the US federal
government.  They tasked  a group with developing regulatory language that all
federal agencies will have  to follow.  That group was CEQ.  When NEPA was
written, CEQ stated  that these (the actions within NEPA) are overarching actions
that all federal  agencies must follow, but they (CEQ) recognized that each
federal agency has  their own mission and each federal agency should develop
policy to follow NEPA  that fits their specific agency mission.  For the
FAA, that policy is FAA  Order 5050-4B.  With FAA Order 5050-4B written, FAA
wrote another policy  (FAA Order 1050.1E) regarding the format and content of
the specific documents  (Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact
Statements) – what they  should look like in written form.  So, I mention
FAA Order 1050.1E really  only for your background but it really doesn't
provide any information for the  issue at hand.  The CEQ regulations for NEPA
state that the federal agency  who is providing the funding for a project
(regardless of its location in the  world) is the US governments’ federal
proponent.  Therefore, since FAA is  providing the funding to the Marshall Islands,
FAA NEPA policy is the primary  regulatory guidance for this project.
FAA  Order 5050-4B (section 208) does clearly state that the FAA must
undertake an  assessment of the environmental impacts associated with the runway
expansion  project in Majuro.  In reading through all the regulatory
minutia,  including EO 12114, it states that the federal proponent (in this case
FAA)  shall work through the US Department of State for the environmental
assessment  (notice the use of lower case letters in environmental assessment –
I am  referring to an assessment of the environment and not an Environmental
 Assessment in the NEPA realm).  Further research into the policies shows
that the name of the NEPA documents for these actions on foreign lands are
called “Overseas Environmental Assessment” and “Overseas Environmental
Impact  Statement”.
So, CEQ  NEPA regulations states that US government agencies must follow
the National  Environmental Policy Act, and each agency is supposed to produce
more detailed  policy on how that agency will follow NEPA.  Also, the
President of the  United States signed Executive Order 12114, specifically
focusing on airport  actions (by FAA) that significantly affect a foreign country.
 Since it is  the FAA who is providing the US money for the project, it is
FAA’s NEPA policy  that is the regulatory guidance.  That is FAA Order
5050-4B.  FAA  Order 5050-4B clearly states that an assessment is required.
Now,  FAA will decide if the project is small enough to be covered in an
Environmental  Assessment or if the impacts are of such magnitude they should
be addressed in  an Environmental Impact Statement.  That decision is solely
made by  FAA.  Yes, others may say that they have a vote in the decision,
but it is  the lead federal agency (in this case FAA) who will actually sign
the  document.  Whichever document they produce, since it is for an overseas
 location, it will be called an “Overseas Environmental Assessment” or an
“Overseas Environmental Impact Statement”.  FAA should submit that
document  (including the signed Finding of No Significant Impact if it is an
Overseas  Environmental Assessment or a Record of Decision if it is an Overseas
Environmental Impact Statement) to the US Department of State, who will then
submit it to the Government of the Marshall Islands Embassy (if there is
one in  Washington, DC that is the Embassy where it will be delivered and
stored).   The Marshal Islands Embassy will receive and store the  document..
I have  found that when dealing with regulatory issues, if you quote the
correct  regulation and specific section of the regulation it forces people
(the decision  makers and elected officials) to listen.  But, if you quote the
wrong  regulation, they know you are wrong and are not a force to be
reckoned  with.
Keep in  mind that NEPA will not stop a project; if anything it will force
the proponent  to revise components of the project to reduce the
environmental impacts.   The Environmental Assessment process will analyze the action’s
impact to  resources and conclude that there are no significant impacts
(and in this case  the Finding of No Significant Impact [FONSI] statement will
be signed by FAA) or  that the impacts are of such magnitude that a Notice
of Intent (NOI) to conduct  an Environmental Impact Statement (much more
detailed analysis of the project  impacts on the resources) will be issued.
Once the EIS is completed, a  Record of Decision will be signed by FAA.  An EIS
and ROD can show that  there will be significant impacts to the resources
and the project will be able  to move forward.  But, the purpose of the EIS
process is to make the  impacts known so we can try (but aren't required by
regulation) to offset those  negative impacts.  Proponents will attempt to
offset impacts identified in  a ROD as means to save face with the media and
citizens, but they really are not  required to offset the impacts that are
identified in the ROD.  Many  proponents do not want to spend the time or
money to undertake an EIS, so they  opt for the EA route.  But keep in mind that
the two possible outcomes of  an EA are a FONSI or a NOI.  To make sure the
impacts to resources are  deemed not significant, the proponent will often
propose mitigation to offset or  decrease the severity of the proposed
action on the resources.  We call  this a “mitigated FONSI”, which means our
initial analysis indicates there are  significant impacts by our proposed
action, but we don't have the time or money  to go the EIS route.  So we offer to
offset those impacts resulting in a  “no significant impact” conclusion
and we can move forward with only writing an  EA.  It typically takes 4-12
months to write and EA (from start to signing  the FONSI) and about 2-3 years
to write an EIS (from start to issuing the  ROD).  An EIS often costs an
order of magnitude greater than an EA.   So there are obvious time and financial
reasons for a proponent to keep their  project in the EA realm (and they do
that by proposing mitigation if the  projects’ impacts are initially deemed
significant).  The traditional  mitigation for the Majuro project will be
to move coral to another  location.  I am sure you are following the military
build-up in Guam.   That is exactly what the Navy is proposing to do to
offset their impacts to  corals in Apra Harbor by their proposed dredging
operation to accommodate larger  ships and create new wharves - although there is
word that the Navy has just  removed the CVN pier project (the component
that would result in the greatest  coral impacts from the build-up) from the
build-up  ROD.

Daniel M. Savercool, CSE
Senior Scientist
EA Engineering, Science, and  Technology
225 Schilling Circle
Hunt Valley, MD 21031
Mobile: 240-793-5455
Guam Mobile: 671-988-6075

In a message dated 1/8/2013 7:31:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,