[Coral-List] FW: [SCUTTLEBUTT:9711] Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation Education and Outreach Coordinator
emmawatterson816 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 11:37:39 EST 2013
From: Allen at livingoceansfoundation.org
To: scuttlebutt at vims.edu
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:25:26 -0500
Subject: [SCUTTLEBUTT:9711] Interesting Opportunity
Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation
Education and Outreach Coordinator
The Education Coordinator will be responsible for running and expanding the education and digital outreach program of the Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation. The position is temporary with an initial one year contract.. Position is partially based in Landover, Maryland and will require some foreign travel and full time weeks on the research vessel Golden Shadow
Responsibilities include but are not limited to;
· Work with Living Oceans Foundation (LOF) staff to run the Foundation’s education program, using current materials lesson plans, teacher guides, supporting video and photos, while also seeking to build upon these resources and expand the Foundation’s existing education materials.
· Work with Living Oceans Foundation partner schools and marine education organizations to promote uptake of the Living Oceans foundation education materials. Identify additional schools, education institutes, and informal education programs and work to expand the Foundation’s existing network of partners.
· Recruit qualified educators for the Foundation’s CREW program, (CREW stands for Coral Reef Educator on the Water) and continue working with current CREW teachers to ensure long term relationships with any school involved in this program. Liaise with those teachers to organize logistics of their CREW experience. In some instances, this will require being on board the Golden Shadow research ship to work with the CREW teacher to develop a full curriculum of CREW activities and facilitate regular digital outreach opportunities for the CREW participant
· Manage educational and outreach content on the Living Oceans Foundation website and social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube). Write short articles and take photos while conducting education and outreach activities overseas and work to maximize their reach. Update the Foundation’s bog and coordinate blog writing by contributing authors.
· Make regular posts to environmental and science list-serves, and look for outreach opportunities for the Foundation’s education program.
· Work with local educators in foreign nations that the Foundation visits to organize onsite education workshops. Establish new partnerships with organizations in host nations to coordinate joint education events, including scientists visiting local schools and ship visits for local school children where possible. Lead education workshops for both teachers and students to encourage coral reef science in their classrooms. Follow up by providing materials for this where possible.
· Track and evaluate the education program. Conduct needs assessments in foreign nations in advance of any onsite education workshops and adjust the education program to accommodate them where possible.
Bachelor’s degree in coral ecology, or a complementary field, and at least two years marine education experience required. Experience in teaching in both formal and non-formal education programs preferred with a focus on high school age children. Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication essential and experience writing for blogs or digital outreach a must. Ability to coordinate multiple activities simultaneously is required. Candidate must be able to work under tight deadlines and have excellent organizational skills. Candidate should have experience using Wordpress. SCUBA Certification is required.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, resume, short writing sample and two references by January 31, 2013 to jobs at lof.org.
More information about the Coral-List