[Coral-List] Effective communications tools?

Magnus Johnson m.johnson at hull.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 00:25:49 EST 2013

I think the secret to success is probably to make yourself invaluable to the communities you are trying to work with - help them with their daily battles and they might help you with yours.  I work with a local fishing community and over the years I've helped them fight developers (by critiquing EIAs for them), embedded graduate students with them (who then "go native"!) an helped them represent themselves.  I can now go to the harbour and if I need help they will give it.  It has taken me 10 years though and hard earned trust can be lost in seconds. There are no short cuts.