[Coral-List] new mystery fish

mtupper mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Fri Jan 18 13:26:13 EST 2013

Hi Gene and List,

This is not terribly surprising. Since the lionfish invasion, many aquarium
stores have replaced lionfish with Cromileptes altivelis (humpback grouper) as
the primary "top predator" species for sale. It was only a matter of time before
they starting showing up in Florida.

I see from the various news articles that some people are hoping these
Indo-Pacific groupers will prefer to eat Indo-Pacific lionfish. Perhaps (and
that would be great), but I bet they'd prefer to slurp up some nice, spineless
parrotfish and wrasse and maybe a lobster or two, just like the native Atlantic
groupers.

Cheers,
Mark

Dr. Mark Tupper
Coastal Resources Association
207-10822 City Parkway, Surrey, BC, Canada V3T 0C2
www.coastal-resources.org
Email: mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Tel. 1-604-588-1674; Mobile: 1-604-961-2022

Philippines Office:
Poblacion, Sagay, Camiguin, Philippines 9103
Tel. 63-927-921-9915