[Coral-List] Lion Consumption

Tim Brown - NOAA Affiliate tim.brown at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 22 12:55:38 EST 2013

Thats really good news!
Maybe those lorge predatory fish will develop a taste for them and start
eating more juveniles.  But the main predator that needs to develop a taste
for lionfish is a human.  Luckily the human creature is lazy and easily
swayed by marketing trends and will often consume the easiest food source
available.  Lionfish has a tasty white flesh but local fish markets are
loath to purchase from local fishermen because the public is not tuned in
to this a popular seafood.
If there was a marketing campaign by a large successful ad firm to tap into
the human psyche and make this fish a desirable food source then I think a
demand can be made for this fish.  This may put pressure on the burgeoning
wild populations of lionfish.
I know several commercial divers in south florida that could and would take
heaps of lionfish daily but the local markets they sell to have no desire
for this fish.

Seems like a simple solution to help reduce wild lionfish populations and
provide another seafood protein source for humans that might also ease
pressure on other target food fish like the native apex predators that may
also eat the lions.

.....all we have to do is convince the general population that this a cool
new trendy food....Anybody know any famous actors or musicians that want to
campaign???  or an ad company with the concept to sway public opinion?
 They're a cool looking exotic fish!  marketed properly, they could
probably command premium prices.