[Coral-List] Dive marshalls

Helen Brunt helen.brunt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 13:09:14 EST 2013

Hi Julian,

This is not about dive marshalls as such, but snorkel marshalls...

I recently visited the Ecology Centre in Akumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico where they run a sea turtle conservation programme -http://www.ceakumal.org/index.php.

Hundreds of visitors come to Akumal each day to snorkel with the turtles (greens and loggerheads) as they feed on the seagrass in the shallow waters. The bay is divided into various zones and the snorkellers only have access to certain areas. The project staff give a full briefing to all visitors upon arrival where they are shown a video and have the code of conduct explained to them prior to snorkelling. There are marshalls in sea kayaks patrolling the snorkelling areas and I witnessed a marshall berating a snorkeller who touched a turtle even after the briefing.

Hope this info is of some interest,
Best wishes,
Helen