[Coral-List] Arrecife Alacranes Park manager needs documentation for proposed regulation

Sander Den Haring sander.denharing at my.jcu.edu.au
Tue Jul 30 02:21:17 EDT 2013

Thanks David,
The aim of my PhD study was to encourage marine resource protection ("getting snorkelers and scuba divers to behave") through the use of interpretation. The study identified the salient beliefs scuba divers and snorkelers held regarding "not contacting the coral reef" and then targeted those salient beliefs by interpretive efforts. There was not enough time to test the effects of these interventions on the scuba divers, but on the snorkelers the interpretive efforts had the desired effect. By targeting the salient beliefs the snorkelers made more contacts on dead substrate and seagrass substrate, and made overall more positive snorkel behaviours for the environment. The marine resources frequented by the snorkelers was thus afforded some degree of protection. Furthermore, clientele experience was enhanced largely as a result of increased elaboration, or critical thinking about the messages presented to the snorkelers. Increased elaboration is another sign of effective interpretation.

Once the salient beliefs of scuba divers have been identified i see no reason why such interventions could not work on scuba divers as well. I agree with David in finding a broader network approach as an option to protect marine resources.

cheers

sander

Sander D. den Haring
PhD Candidate