[Coral-List] Reef Restoration & Coastal Defenses - Highlighting Projects & Examples

Donald Potts potts at ucsc.edu
Tue Jun 11 15:03:14 EDT 2013

Dear Restoration Leader,

We are gathering information on *Reef Restoration *projects that were
designed to deliver ecosystem services in general, and *Coastal Defense
*benefits in particular (e.g., wave attenuation, erosion reduction). We
are also interested in other kinds of restoration projects that may have
had un-anticipated effects (positive or negative) on coastal defense.
Our primary goals are to evaluate the costs and benefits of different
approaches and to identify situations where each is most effective.

We have created a brief 5-question survey to help fill this knowledge
gap (questions are listed below for your convenience). We would greatly
appreciate if you could fill out your answers at this link
(https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/reef_restoration).

Alternatively, you may reply directly to this email with your answers
(Please put an X before appropriate answers and/or attach any documents
relevant to restoration projects). Please do NOT reply to Coral-List.
Instead, please email one of the following

Donald Potts <potts at ucsc.edu> <mailto:potts at ucsc.edu>
Mike Beck <mbeck at TNC.ORG> <mailto:mbeck at TNC.ORG>
Rachel Fabian <rfabian at ucsc.edu> <mailto:rfabian at ucsc.edu>

We will send a copy of the survey results to all participants who answer
the survey and provide a contact email.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Dr. Donald Potts     Professor, University California Santa Cruz

Dr. Mike Beck        Lead Marine Scientist, The Nature Conservancy

Rachel Fabian        PhD Student, University California Santa Cruz

*********************************************************************************************************************

*1. Which services or benefits have your reef restoration projects been
designed to deliver?*

___Fish production; ___Coastal Defense; ___Recreation; __Coral recovery;
___Other (please specify)

*2. What ecosystem services or benefits have you measured during or
after restoration projects?*

___Fish production; ___Coastal Defense; ___Recreation; ___Coral
recovery; ___Other (please specify)

*3. If you have used any of the following methods for restoration
projects, please rank the top 3 methods you consider to be most effective.*

___Reef Balls; ___BioRock; ___EcoReef; ___Reef Rubble unconsolidated;
___Reef Rubble consolidated (e.g., gabion);

___Other concrete structures; ___Geotextile tubes; ___Coral Gardening
(e.g., transplants); ___Other (please specify)

*4. What was the total cost of your largest restoration project (specify
currency if non-USD)?*

___<$10k

___$10k - $100k

___$101k - $500k

___$501k - $1M

___ >$1M

**

*5. Please provide citations or URLs for publications, websites, fact
sheets or other references on your projects, particularly those that
have been designed to include coastal defense benefits.*

  Donald C. Potts

  Professor of Biology
       and Institute of Marine Sciences

  Treasurer - International Society for Reef Studies (ISRS)

  Office: A408  Earth and Marine Sciences Building
  Lab:    D480  Earth and Marine Sciences Building

                                           MAIL ADDRESS:
  Office: (831) 459-4417         316 Earth and Marine Sciences Bldg
  Lab:    (831) 459-5063         University of California
  Fax:    (831) 459-4882         1156 High St
  Cell:   (831) 435-9323          Santa Cruz, California 95064 USA
  Email:  potts at biology.ucsc.edu