[Coral-List] New Marine Research Center in Key Largo, FL

research at mrdf.org research at mrdf.org
Wed Jun 26 14:23:17 EDT 2013

If you are interested in incorporating citizen science and/or an
outreach component into your research, contact Marine Resources
Development Foundation (MRDF).

MRDF's MarineLab in Key Largo, FL is an educational facility that
hosts students 4th grade thru college from all over the country.  We
have recently expanded our facility and capability to host marine
scientists and provide them with field support, equipment, boats,
housing and student assistance.  We are looking to create new
partnerships with universities or organizations conducting research in
our area.

We spend most days of the year on the waters off of Key Largo- both on
the Oceanside and the Bayside.  Many times out of the week we return
to the same sites.  We have experience in grant writing and would be
happy to assist in writing a grant if there is a project you have in
mind we could work together on.

Some examples of our current "research partnerships":

-Coral Restoration Foundation personnel have taught MarineLab staff
how to transplant coral and monitor coral growth, disease, etc. at the
restoration site.

-Florida International University SERC water quality monitoring
network program has lent us a YSI sonde and in turn we collect data
for them at Bayside sites we commonly go to with our students.

-Dr Larry Brand (RSMAS) has us collect water samples throughout
Florida Bay that are tested for cyanobacteria levels

-Dr. Deron Burkepile (FIU) is having our students count parrot fish
bites to monitor food selection on various reefs off of Key Largo

-Dr. Josh Feingold (NOVA) has us shuttle a graduate student back and
forth to a mangrove island off of Key Largo every other week and
assist him with benthic surveys.

-We have partnered with NOAA's Phytoplankton Monitoring Network and
have recently received the permits to begin a study on phytoplankton
population on healthy versus algal dominated reefs

Please refer to http://mrdf.org/ResearchSupport.html for more
information on technology available, boats, rates etc.

If you would like more information on how you can incorporate our
visiting students into your research, please contact Sarah Egner at
Sarah.Egner at MRDF.org or call 800-741-1139