[Coral-List] Unite to save the planet! An online network for the conservation and development sector

Emma Gibbons gibbons.e.l at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 00:57:28 EST 2013

Thanks Alice

Great work, as a marine biologist living and working in a developing
country, we have to deal with poor infrastructure and slow internet.
However, it is imperative that we can communicate with the rest of the
scientific community for research and funding purposes.

I had a look around the website and found that by using this website
as a platform you can do all that and more, i advise everyone to at
least to 'give it a go'

Kind regards
Emma

On 07/03/2013, Alice Grainger <alicetgrainger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have just released the beta version of an online social network for the
> conservation and devlopment sector, designed to make the work of
> conservation and development just that little bit easier.
>
> http://ngopolis.com/
>

> For NGOPOLIS  to be really effective, it needs to each a critical mass of
> users. If you think this is something that you will find useful, I hope
> that you will share it with your network.
>
> Very best wishes,
>
> Alice
>
> Harnessing the power of online social networking for the conservation and
> sustainable development sector
>

> Inspired by the natural world, in which resilient, productive systems
> thrive through diversity and connectivity, NGOPOLIS.com is a free online
> initiative which will help consolidate the international conservation and
> development community, providing a space though which field scientists,
> professionals, academics, students, and organisations can:
>
> - - Search for relevant peers or peer groups, projects, updates, data, and
> images according to a wide variety of search parameters
>
>    - Share knowledge, experiences, and expertise and tap into a global
> network of support
>
>   - Collaborate and share data; group profiles have a table function for
> easy data collation
>
> - Access global news from the sector through a comprehensive RSS aggregator
>
> - Connect with funders and keep abreast of application deadlines and other
> events
>
>      - Communicate informally and in real time through an ‘instant
> messaging’ function
>
>   - Provide sustainable livelihood initiatives in remote communities with
> access to an international market through an online ARCADE
>
>    - Provide feedback and ensure that the site develops in line with the
> needs of its users
>

> As we continue to face environmental and socio-economic challenges, there
> is no longer any need to ‘reinvent the wheel’ in the search for solutions.
> By connecting the dots, we can capitalise on lessons already learned, make
> use of discoveries that have already been made, and disseminate strategies
> that have already proven to be effective.
>
> www.NGOPOLIS.com
>

>  <http://www.NGOPOLIS.com>

Emma Gibbons