[Coral-List] What agency should list corals under the Endangered species act?

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 27 14:49:24 EDT 2013

   I canât be sure, but I believe that I can hear distinct political overtones
   raised  under  the guise of concern for what's in the best interest of
   environmental protection.
   Letâs  get real. In this country commerce and the economy tend to take
   priority over EVERYTHING and our government institutions are not immune from
   these influences. Whether it be the Department of Commerce or Interior makes
   no difference . . . they are both affected by economic realities.
   The  NMFS seems to be doing as well as anyone can expect balancing the
   concerns of the many commercial interests with the conflicting need for
   oversight emphasizing sustainability and environmental impact.
   And by the way, U.S. Coral Reef Task Force created in 1998 by executive
   order to lead U.S. efforts to preserve and protect coral reef ecosystems
   includes leaders of 12 Federal agencies among others. The organizational
   structure is quite extensive and complicated, but so is the task at hand.
   Regards,
     Steve