[Coral-List] What agency should list corals under the Endangered species act?

Griffin, Dale dgriffin at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 28 09:10:25 EDT 2013

Why haven't these types of studies been undertaken? Many pesticides are
known immuno-suppresents and their use in the nearshore marine environment
of the Keys may account for observed outbreaks of disease in the reef
community. Immuno-suppresion can account for cases of disease the
historically haven't been observed or only occur in rare instances (like
naturally occuring states of immuno-suppresion that can be related to
injuries, co-infection or aging). Certainly its use negatively effects the
diverse insect community that resides (and has function) in the Keys
mangrove ecosystems...some caddisflies are known to spend part of their
lifecycle in starfish......impact studies are warrented when releasing the
volume of pesticides that are released over the Keys on an annual
basis....Gene has been harping on this point for years and still no funded
studies to my knowledge...............now let me be honest, I was once
staying on the Bay side of Key Largo one summer and you had to dash out of
the house and jump into your hot car to prevent from being overwhelmed by
mosquitos....and spend several minutes sitting there killing the ones that
got into the car with you before you drove off...I remember thinking 'they
aren't spraying enough!!!!!'

"Everybody is ignorant, just on different subjects"
                                           Will Rogers

Dale W. Griffin, Ph.D., MSPH
Environmental/Public Health Microbiologist
United States Geological Survey
600 4th Street South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Office phone # - 727-803-8747, ext. 3075
USGS Tallahassee main office # - 727-803-8747
Fax # - 727-803-2031
Cell # 850-274-3566
email - dgriffin at usgs.gov