[Coral-List] Alert Diver Article on proposed coral listing

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue May 14 12:18:23 EDT 2013

A note about the cooling scare of the 1970s:  I remember it well.  That was 35 years ago.  We have much better instruments, longer time series, new theories and models.  Scientific understanding of both natural and man-made environmental processes are much better now.  We hardly even had computers back then, and hardly any satellite data.  Diving and coral reef science was new back them.  There were only 3.5 billion people on Earth back then.  Coastal developments was seen as a good thing back then.  We are in a different world now, and we know that burning of 100s of millions of years of accumulated fossil fuels for all of the various uses over the past 150 years, plus deforestation, plus local and regional pollution, feedback loops such as melting of glaciers and ice caps, smog, airplane contrails, etc are messing up air and water quality, and changing the heat balance of the Earth.  To me the doubters just don't want to face reality because they don't want to consider the tough choices that need to be made to try to halt the process let alone reverse it.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta