[Coral-List] Alert Diver Article on proposed coral listing

mtupper mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Tue May 14 12:24:53 EDT 2013

Hi All,

Different sectors in society have different ideas of what the current
"scientific snake oil" is. If you follow the FishFolk listserv, there are are
several fisheries "experts" on that list stridently proclaiming that there is no
such thing as overfishing, and that global warming, pollution and habitat
destruction are the cause of all the world's fishery declines. No doubt if you
joined an agricultural listserv, you might hear that runoff is harmless and
nutrients only help the growth of seaweed and fish, etc.

On a global scale, billions of dollars ARE being invested into combating the
destructive activities that Jay listed, but the statement that "you wouldn't see
doubt from anyone" is naive. All of those destructive activities provide
livelihood for someone, and those people will fight tooth and nail to protect
their livelihood. Moreover, they often have a strong belief that their
livelihood does not really have a negative impact, and they will be quick to
blame any and all other activities for any tangible environmental damage. For
example, commercial fishermen are among the strongest proponents of
anthropogenic global warming. Is that because they really understand and accept
the science behind AGW? In most cases, probably not. It is simply in their best
(short-term) economic interest to point fingers at global warming and pollution
and divert attention away from the overfishing issue.

Resource managers need a reliable analysis of the relative impacts of global
warming, overfishing, pollution, sedimentation, habitat destruction, invasive
species, etc. on marine ecosystems, so that limited resources can be allocated
where they will provide the greatest benefit. There are lots of research groups
studying two or three of the above at a time, but I'm not sure if anyone is
looking at the whole picture. Perhaps it's simply too complex and
interconnected.

Cheers,
Mark Tupper