[Coral-List] Underwater signage

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon May 20 17:13:53 EDT 2013

Many years ago, a public aquarium that will remain unnamed had a large reef
aquarium.  After weekends, they noticed some of the fish were missing.
They put up signs that said "Warning: Chemically treated fish, do not
eat."  Fish stopped disappearing.
     I once was told about an electrophysiology lab where things
disappeared.  A sign was then posted saying something like "Danger High
Voltage, 5 million ohms" with a radioactivity sign below it.  Things
stopped disappearing.
    Cheers, Doug

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM, Ulf Erlingsson <ceo at lindorm.com> wrote:

> How about this:
>
> "WARNING - DO NOT TOUCH - CONTENTS UNDER HIGH PRESSURE"
>
> Ulf Erlingsson
>
> On 2013-05-19, at 19:42, Scott Heron - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>
> > Two thoughts on this from my experience:
> >
> > * Saying "WARNING" rather than "DANGER".
> >
> > * Rather than 'radioactive', perhaps try "ELECTRICAL WARNING: 50,000
> > ohms."?  Ohms are the units of resistance (better still, use the unit
> > symbol of capital omega rather than the word to look good).  High
> > resistance is a safe thing; to the unknowing potential interactee, the
> > reference to electricity combined with a big number should be enough of a
> > deterrent...
> >
> > Cheers, Scott.
> >

> > On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM, martina <
> m.milanese at studioassociatogaia.com
> >> wrote:
> >

> >> Nice idea!
> >> I will try it myself, and adapt it to our dataloggers (that are
> >> recurrently being stolen).
> >> They are little cute things with a pulsing red LED light - apparently
> >> very attractive to marine life covered in neoprene.
> >>

> >> Martina

> >> attempting to obtain settling rates of invertebrates on panels with
> >> different textures, set underwater at Catalina Island. I ran into
> terrible
> >> problems with treasure hunters/vandals/thieves damaging the experimental
> >> setups. So I devised a modified technique. I wrote my text on the panels
> >> using red nail polish, and then covered that with a fiberglass gelcoat.
> The
> >> panels themselves were simply soft wood 2 x 6 pieces, covered in
> >> fiberglass. What I wrote was not accurate, but was designed to repel
> >> invaders.

> >> signage remained legible, and any algae could simply be wiped off.

> >> lab dock one day when a dive boat pulled up, and a red-faced overweight
> >> irate diver  jumped off. He said "Hey! I was just diving out on the
> rocks,
> >> and I saw some panels down there.  I whipped out my knife and was going
> >> collect them for my rec room, when I read the sign that said DANGER
> >> RADIOACTIVE.  Am I in any danger because I came so close?"

> >> Mike to lose six months work. Then he said "Sir, you are in absolutely
> no
> >> danger. There is only a slight chance of any damage. Go home, and if
> you do
> >> not notice any change in your external genitalia over the next six
> months,
> >> you will know you are out of danger."

> >> over your text is a guarantee of longevity. Of your text.

> reef
> material
> and
> >> suitable

PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

The views expressed are those of the author alone.