[Coral-List] Underwater signage follow-on

Michael Risk riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Tue May 21 09:12:24 EDT 2013

Good day, all.

We really have to stop meeting like this-I have work to do. Nonetheless, at my age one forgets stuff, and it occurred to me that something from the past may be useful here.

Many years ago, when I had the project in Indonesia, my friend Cam Lewis (whose work will be known to gorgonian people) became intrigued by the fact that the bases of soft corals were never bored. This, in some of the most "bioactive" water on the planet, north coast of Central Java, a place where unprotected wooden boats, usually made from teak, lasted only a few months. If constantly maintained and painted with evil stuff, they lasted maybe a year. We were concerned about all those teak trees, and the fact that, for the fishermen (relax, PC people-in Indonesia, they are ALL men), the boat was their largest investment-larger than their houses.

We began investigating the mystery of why the soft corals were not bored. In a burst of intelligence atypical for me, I brought in a young Indonesian, Ocky Radjasa, to do grad work at McMaster on this. (Ocky turned out to be a brilliant young scientist who now runs his own institute on Java, researching bioactive marine compounds and interacting internationally.)

To summarize about 5 years of field testing and lab work, it turns out soft corals secrete cetyl palmitate, which inhibits biofilm formation (esp. Vibrio) on submerged surfaces, and shortcuts larval settling. CP is safe for people (a major component in stuff like hand creams) and volume/volume costs less than the beer I drink.

We played around with formulations: if you mix too much CP into paint, the paint slides off, duh…turns out about 1% is OK. This amount, mixed into ordinary housepaint, protected fishing boats better than the going antifouling paints-which are highly toxic.

I acquired some sort of preliminary patent protection and then donated all the rights to the university in Indonesia, UNDIP. That's the last I heard of the whole thing. But it now occurs to me that a small amount of CP mixed into a gelcoat covering some signage couldn't hurt, and could help a great deal.

(For some freshwater coverage: CP also retards Zebra Mussel settling.)

Mike