[Coral-List] Happy Anniversary

Billy Causey - NOAA Federal billy.causey at noaa.gov
Thu May 23 11:21:06 EDT 2013

Dear Jim and Coral List managers,
Congratulations for all that you have done to facilitate a dialogue
and information sharing about coral reef ecosystems and their
inhabitants.  Some members on the Coral List may not relate to the
significance of what you have accomplished over the last 23 years, but
I can give hours of testimony as to the importance and usefulness of
the communication venue that you all have provided.  It makes me proud
to be a part of NOAA in the US Government to know you and your
colleagues work for the same agency!  Enough about that before I open
a dialogue that I don't have time to close.

Back to just a little of the significance of what you created and
maintained over the years.

Just imagine if we had the Coral List ( or even the Internet) for that
matter back in 1979 when massive numbers of Zestospongia muta began
dying along the reef tract of the Lower Florida Keys, or when in 1980,
after weeks of doldrum weather, 10's of thousands of fish began dying
along the reef tract of the entire Florida Keys?  Something that
happened again in 1998, and in other parts of the Caribbean and was
discussed on the Coral List.

What about in January of 1983, when Harias Lesios went to his study
area off Panama to discover dead Diadema and it took us until July of
1983 to hear of what was happening here in the Florida Keys, where
Harias caught up with the sweeping die-off.  Or what about the time at
a coral beaching workshop that John Ogden and others hosted in St
Croix in early 1988, following the Caribbean wide 1987 massive
bleaching event that prompted US Senator Lowell Weicker to call for a
Congressional hearing.  Those of us in attendance learned from Peter
Glynn that he and his students documented mass bleaching and coral
mortality on coral reefs in 1982 on the Pacific side of Panama.  Just
imagine how fast the news would have spread to the coral reef science
and management community had the Coral List (and the Internet) been
around then?

Jim, I have hundred of more examples of how you and the coral list
have helped me in my job and with my current knowledge of what is
happening with corals arounds the world.  You may not be producing a
glossy, finished publication that you distribute for short time
claiming new actions and new solutions, but you do provide the
opportunity for others to make notices of such achievements!! Thank
you all!!

Billy Causey,

Ps now tell me, I know you see all the messages sent to the coral
list, and some don't get posted, possibly because of passionate
statements.

But my question is, have you been swayed?  Do you believe in climate
change, ocean acidification, sea level rise or any of the global
threats tossed about by members on the Coral List??  What is the
truth?

Just kidding.... I don't really expect an answer, just playing with you.

Billy D. Causey, Ph.D.
Southeast Regional Director
NOAA's Office of National Marine Sanctuaries

33 East Quay Road
Key West, Florida 33040

Phone:
305 809 4670 office