[Coral-List] NGOs, Corals and Dive Industry

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 19 16:37:53 EST 2013

   Body  Glove's  commitment  to  ocean  conservation is commendable, but
   unfortunately
   proves to be exceptional within the diving industry. Perhaps it is their
   connection to
   the  surfing community that provides them with unusual insight as that
   industry is for
   some reason more in sync with ocean-related environmental issues. As for the
   question
   of whether we are expecting too much . .. .I think not in the least. In
   fact, there would
   seem to be an attractive financial return for forthrightly acknowledging the
   very real threats
   that  exist  to  coral reefs. Encouraging manufacturers, certification
   agencies, resorts and
   dive shops to help develop the support needed to implement actions that
   could result in
   the long-term survival of the very ecosystem on which they rely for their
   future subsistence
   seems to be clearly in their own best interest. As to why there remains only
   inaction on
   some of the most pressing issues is what baffles me.
   Steve