[Coral-List] NGOs, Corals and Dive Industry

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 20 10:56:57 EST 2013

   This pertinent question was raised off-list: Can't the diving industry
   acknowledge the problems and speak out
   on the need for action without someone requiring them to pony up money?

   That was exactly the point I was attempting to make. What we are looking for
   from industry leaders is not funding, but acknowledgement, leadership and
   guidance. In fact, there suddenly seems to be a groundswell of support for
   proactive engagement derived from divers and business leaders who have
   studied  and understand the issues at hand. At least those who are not
   predisposed  to reject  scientifically-based findings because they may
   contradict  some  core beliefs. The way that the diving industry works
   provides mystifying powers of persuasion to certification agencies (and DEMA
   directors). The average diver follows their edicts with something akin to
   religious fervor. If divers can simply be encouraged to follow the science
   rather than rhetoric designed specifically to discredit conclusions based on
   methodical   studies,   we   might   be   able  to  make  progress  by
   implementing actions designed to mitigate the blighting impacts currently
   anticipated.

   Steve