[Coral-List] NGOs, Corals and Dive Industry

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 20 14:24:23 EST 2013

   Dear Martina,
   To you points: my criticisms are not aimed at the average diver, but at the
   institutional  leadership  who in my opinion are becoming complicit in
   perpetuating many of our coral reef ecosystems' problems as a result of
   their equivocation and inaction. To further the point, it is knowledgeable
   and insightful divers that will likely provide the impetus that hopefully
   changes the paradigm.
   As for the characterization of divers following agency edicts with something
   akin to religious fervor, that was perhaps overstated, but I am often put
   off by dive instructors telling me that I must have a snorkel attached to my
   mask or that it must be attached only on the left. I remember a documentary
   in which Jacques Cousteau was snorkeling in the Amazon with a tube attached
   to the right side of his mask . . I was waiting for an overzealous diver to
   lecture him on his impudence.
   The diving industry and certification agencies can not avoid the fact that
   divers follow their lead. When I teach new divers I don't have any choice
   but to accept the fact that in a sense I'm imprinting their minds. Not in an
   attempt to control them, but with the hope that they may embrace a similar
   respect for the ocean. Some do and some don't, but there is no denying the
   fact that divers and the diving industry could be invaluable resources in
   any effort made to conserve the world's coral reefs. What is wrong with
   asking them to fulfill a more responsible role in this endeavor? For after
   all, they are benefiting from having access to healthy marine ecosystems and
   as you said, it is a two-way street.
   Steve