[Coral-List] NGOs, Corals and Dive Industry

Naneng Setiasih nsetiasih at coral.org
Wed Nov 20 22:36:02 EST 2013

Dear all,

There are quite a lot of programs run by diving industry and NGOs in dealing with involving the industry in coral reef management/conservation, some are review and enforced, some are voluntarily.  PADI has a Green Star awards for for PADI Dive Centers and Resorts that demonstrate a committment to environmental conservation.  Thailand has a green fin program, Some Caribbean countrie  got a MARTI (Mesoameriacan reef tourism initiative) that deal with improving operational standards and code of conduct.  There are also dive  certification program that focus on improving divers skills related to certain aspects of coral reef management, such as Reef Check Eco Diver, Manta trax, and for sure some speciality within PADI, SSI, NAUII, etc.  There are also a lot of case examples on how tourism/dive industry play a significant role in coral reef management in many places.

It is true, though, that there are plenty of rooms still to optimize their involvement.  I think its all come to what are the objectives an area (small, or even wide world) of the coral management, and then we could see how everybody (including dive industry) support it.

Tx