[Coral-List] NGOs, Corals and Dive Industry

Jerker Tamelander tamelander at un.org
Thu Nov 21 08:47:48 EST 2013

Dear All,

As has been pointed out - in different ways - the scuba diving industry is
an important partner in coral reef management. I would like to provide
some brief information on Green Fins, an initiative by UNEP and Reef World
to promote environmental stewardship among dive centres.

A 15 point Code of Conduct has been developed, covering a range of issues
including best practice in conducting diving and snorkeling, operating
minimum discharge policies, adherence to relevant regulatory frameworks,
provision of information to divers, outreach activities etc. Compliance
with the code of conduct among participating dive centres is monitored
using a robust assessment system with clear criteria, which also helps
identify areas for improvement. Significant efforts is placed on awareness
raising, among dive centres and among their customers, and a range of
materials and activities have been prepared for this.

In all activities Green Fins works directly with dive centres.
Increasingly, effort is being made to also anchor the approach within
national regulatory frameworks and strengthen public-private
collaboration, including to encourage and support capacity building among
governments/regulatory agencies, where possible review and develop
regulations, and share 'best practice' between locations and countries
through the international Green Fins network.

Green Fins was originally developed and pilot tested in Thailand, with
PMBC. It is currently operating in a number of locations in the
Philippines, and is also being introduced to Viet Nam and the Maldives.
The approach has been described by Chloe Hunt, JJ Harvey and coauthors in
a paper in OCM this year: "The Green Fins approach for monitoring and
promoting environmentally sustainable scuba diving operations in South
East Asia". http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2013.03.004.

Green Fins is presently not a fully fledged certification mechanism.
However, it has many of the key elements, and considerable potential to be
developed into a certification mechanism that is independent, credible,
transparent and broadly applicable. We have started to look into this in
more detail and would welcome input and collaboration. Please feel free to
contact me directly on this.

All best,
J.

Jerker Tamelander
Head, Coral Reef Unit | United Nations Environment Programme | Freshwater
and Marine Ecosystems Branch | UN, Rajdamnern Nok Av., Bangkok 10200,
Thailand | Tel: +66 2 288 1099 | Fax: +66 2 280 3829 | tamelander at un.org |
http://coral.unep.ch