[Coral-List] I don't understand no prey for corals

Keven Reed reedkc at comcast.net
Thu Nov 21 22:16:50 EST 2013

Dear Dr. Pecheux,

    If vertebrates had already evolved 560 mya (fossil found in S. Australia in 1998 by Ross Fargher and published in 2003), why wouldn't there be 'plankton' for the prehistoric corals?

    Was your working definition of 'plankton' including bacterioplankton and phytoplankton as well as zooplankton?  While phytoplankton was probably around since at least 3.5 billion years ago, limestone fossils of microscopic foram's and ciliates go back at least 635-715 mya.

Hope this helps,
Keven

Dr. Keven C. Reed
1651 Country Walk Drive