[Coral-List] NGOs, Corals and Dive Industry

Julian @ Reef Check julian at reefcheck.org.my
Fri Nov 22 23:25:54 EST 2013

With respect, Eugene, I don't think it is an anti-DEMA thread, I think it is
more like questioning why DEMA, as an industry leader, appears to be acting
against the interests of conserving the oceans. So since it is still going,
and with apologies to the scientists out there who probably want to bring
the focus back to coral reef science...

For those who didn't read the DEMA website, which someone put a link to
earlier, here is what Tom Ingram, Executive Director of DEMA, said (and I
have cc'd him here because it is only fair that he knows he is being
discussed and has right of reply):

"The dive industry has agreed that an ocean policy that is designed to
stimulate job creation and economic growth while conserving the natural
resources and marine habitat of our oceans would be of great benefit to our
nation. However, more time and appropriate scientific study is needed to
adequately establish justification for many aspects of the policy, based on
realities on the ground."
(http://dema.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=594)

Let's talk about realities on the ground. I ran my own dive centre for six
years on one of Malaysia's east coast islands. Come and dive with me there
and see for yourself just what is happening because of growing tourism, much
of it dive related. Come and dive with me in parts of Sabah that are still
using destructive fishing methods. Come and see places in South East Asia
where 90% of the reefs died during the 2010 bleaching event.

Let's talk about the scientific data. Write back to this list and ask the
coral reef scientists who contribute to it a question about coral reef
issues. Ask what impacts climate change is going to have on reefs - and
oceans more widely. There will be plenty of people who can offer you
information.

Enough scientific data already!

All I am asking is this. There are thousands and thousands of divers out
there who might, just might, be interested to learn more about climate
change impacts on reefs, particularly after so many dived in South East Asia
in 2010 and saw the bleaching and started asking questions. As one of the
industries that makes its  money out of reefs, can the dive industry please
help to pass on some information and get divers better informed about the
broader issues. Not asking for money; not asking for freebies; not asking
for anyone to change their business. Just help to pass along some
information. And I include the dive certification agencies in this, too.

Regards

Julian Hyde
General Manager
Reef Check Malaysia Bhd
www.reefcheck.org.my
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rcmalaysia

HEARD A FISH BOMB? TEXT US AT 012 647 1294 WITH DATE, TIME AND LOCATION!

"The bottom line of the Millenium Assessment findings is that human actions
are depleting Earth's natural capital, putting such strain on the
environment that the ability of the planet's ecosystems to sustain future
generations can no longer be taken for granted."