[Coral-List] NGOs, Corals and Dive Industry

John Ware jware at erols.com
Wed Nov 27 10:31:05 EST 2013

Doug and List,

I am  glad that someone put this whole discussion about divers and the
dive industry in perspective.  Doug Fenners remark about "re-arranging
deck chairs on the Titanic" is an almost perfect analogy.

I go about giving lectures to divers about the effect of climate change
on reefs, not because divers have a large effect by diving, but because
at least some people that I can relate to are being educated.

One of the things that I tell divers (which many of you will just hate
and have a problem with) is that: If you carry a sledge hammer on your
next dive trip and spend each and every dive pounding the reef with your
hammer, you will do less harm to the reef than you do by just being
alive, living in the USA (my focal point), flying to an island to dive,
consuming outrageous quantities of fossile fuel, etc., etc.

You get my point..

Cheers (??), John

    *                      John R. Ware, PhD                    *
    *                         President                         *
    *                      SeaServices, LLC                     *
    *                     302 N. Mule Deer Pt.                  *
    *                    Payson, AZ 85541, USA                  *
    *                       928 478-6358                        *
    *                      jware at erols.com                      *
    *                 http://www.seaservices.org                *
    *                   Member of the Council:                  *
    *            International Society for Reef Studies         *
    *                                          _                *
    *                                         |                 *
    *   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
    *     |\/__       Untainted by Technology            \      *

If you are a coral-reef scientist and you are not a member
of the International Society for Reef Studies, then
shame on you.
Become a member of the International Society for Reef Studies
http://www.coralreefs.org