[Coral-List] Coral relocation

Julian @ Reef Check julian at reefcheck.org.my
Tue Oct 1 00:46:16 EDT 2013

Guilty as charged. We have been doing some experimentation with coral
"rehabilitation" in the last couple of years, and I suppose one could
characterise it as having our own little aquarium.

However...we have learned a few interesting things that others might find
useful along the way. The most important one is that when constructing a
coral nursery it is better to use "corals of opportunity" (ie, broken bits
rolling around on the sea bed that would otherwise have died after a while
of being abraded by sand, etc) than to use fragments harvested from other,
more distant, "healthy" reef sites. Seems those bits rolling around on the
bottom are precisely adapted to local conditions. They show better growth
and lower mortality than "imported" corals. They just need something to
attach to.

Seems obvious? Maybe to coral scientists, but not to the man on the street,
or more appropriately local dive operators, until it is explained to them
simply. So now, when a storm hits a beach (as happened recently) and creates
lots of "corals of opportunity" we can advise lots of individual dive
operators on how to use those fragments to start putting some of the pieces
back together. Not all, I am not pretending that we are putting humpty
dumpty back together again, but little parts. And it is a great opportunity
to teach them and their customers about reefs, raise awareness, all that
stuff.

Surely better than leaving all those coral fragments just rolling
around...or am I now going to be told that that's where sand comes from?

Julian Hyde
General Manager
Reef Check Malaysia Bhd
www.reefcheck.org.my
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rcmalaysia

HEARD A FISH BOMB? TEXT US AT 012 647 1294 WITH DATE, TIME AND LOCATION!

"The bottom line of the Millenium Assessment findings is that human actions
are depleting Earth's natural capital, putting such strain on the
environment that the ability of the planet's ecosystems to sustain future
generations can no longer be taken for granted."