[Coral-List] Coral relocation (Julian @ Reef Check)

Seth Boyd Cohen kevin.s.moses at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 15:59:48 EDT 2013

Dear Mr Julian,

Im trying hard to understand your point of view , but  you fail to bring
out any actual data apart from your opinion and you also  fail to lead us
into a report or published paper.You are I'm sure  quite aware that there
are projects worldwide on this issue, Are you sure they have all failed ?
!. Please describe or guide us through to how exactly you have come to this
conclusion..... THEN maybe ill concede.
Yours Truly,
Kevin ,

Having worked on a restoration project, i have kind of realized that
restoration ecologist tend to want to have their method "work" there is BIG
money out there after all.

Well in reply to your  opinion here is mine

a)corals of opportunity  bring disease (now i know i haven't expressed
 anything but my opinion, perhaps there is a  reason and case history there)

b)corals of opportunity can imbalance  the natural ratio of what actually
should be there. for e.g if you you find 10 fragments of species X and you
stick them all on the reef, doesnt mean that there should have been 10 more
colonies of species X than the others.

C) or perhaps  a 30 cm diameter of a boulder coral which just happened to
be loose(meaning you can pick it up and hence it is "unattached"),
designates itself as a "coral of opportunity" , and corals of opportunity
 is what you want to take ,and  fragment and trans-locate, right ?!!!(true
story  i promise)

 restoration ecologists on coral reefs should identify first what they are
trying to achieve and debate if whether i) is it the restoration of an
endangered species ii) the restoration of a community iii) or the
restoration of a dilapidated habitat, or a combination of the above(or
perhaps something i dont even know or have considered ) each with its
particular  nuances.

ARE WE REALLY READY TO TALK ABOUT  CORAL REEF RESTORATION ????

Do you really want to help me or just promote what it is you think is the
truth ?

Cheers Kevin

 the average life span of man in 2011  is i think expected to be about 67.8
years  globally.