[Coral-List] microRNAs in Symbiodinium microadriaticum

Christian R Voolstra christian.voolstra at kaust.edu.sa
Sat Oct 12 08:32:23 EDT 2013

Hi friends and colleagues,

if you are interested in miRNAs please have a look at our recent publication in BMC Genomics 'Integrating microRNA and mRNA expression profiling in Symbiodinium microadriaticum, a dinoflagellate symbiont of reef-building corals', which can be freely accessed here: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/14/704/abstract

We identified a set of 21 novel smRNAs that share stringent key features with functional microRNAs from other model organisms. smRNAs were predicted independently over all 9 treatments and their putative gene targets were identified. In addition, we assembled a transcriptome of 58,649 genes and determined differentially expressed genes (DEGs) between treatments. Heat stress was found to produce a much larger number of DEGs than other treatments that yielded only few DEGs. Analysis of DEGs also revealed that minicircle-encoded photosynthesis proteins seem to be common targets of transcriptional regulation. Furthermore, we identified the core RNAi protein machinery in Symbiodinium.

Thank you,
Chris

Christian R Voolstra
Assistant Professor of Marine Science