[Coral-List] Climate change in the ocean

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Thu Oct 17 10:45:33 EDT 2013

Carol,

thank you for the links. I'd like to take the opportunity to ask a question after reading the abstract of the Nature article. I understand you take 1860 - 2005 as the climate reference. I'm just curious why you take such a short time, and such an abnormal time, as reference? Surely you must be aware that the climate in the past 10,000 years has been significantly warmer, and that we, until the advent of greenhouse gas emissions, seemed to be heading to the next Ice Age (which is why Svante Arrhenius himself proposed that all this burning of fossil fuel actually could save us from soon entering into a long time of extreme cold). So, why the choice of this short and unrepresentative reference period?

Ulf Erlingsson, Ph.D.
President and CEO
Lindorm, Inc.