[Coral-List] Coral Reef Ecology Course

Michael Sweet M.Sweet at derby.ac.uk
Thu Oct 17 11:59:54 EDT 2013

Dear Coral List

I've tried to send out this advert for a coral reef ecology course, but have no idea if its been sent to your list members or not. Am I contacting the right people with regard to getting this course advertised. See below for the general blurb on the course and the dates for next year. This is available to anyone of any level.

Regards

Mike Sweet

We are pleased to announce dates for the 2014, 10 day field course based at the new marine research station in the Maldives - Korallion Laboratory (www.korallionlab.com<http://www.korallionlab.com>).

> Based on Vavvaru Island, Lhaviyani Atoll, in the Indian Ocean, Korallionlab offers many different reef habitats for potential research projects: from tracts of reef with ~100% coral cover, patch reefs within the sandy lagoon and large coral bommies, which are often frequented by manta rays and whale sharks. There is a purpose built wet lab on sight for tank based experiments which has sea water flow through and a dry lab adjacent, kitted out with state of the art research equipment. The main reef can be easily reached by snorkelling and diving is not essential for your work during the course and therefore not offered as part of this course. Next year we will be running two courses the first of which runs between April 11th-20th 2014 and the second August 22rd-1st September 2014. This course is designed to provide students of any level with a sound foundation in ecological concepts, survey techniques and experimental design in field research applied to coral reef ecosystems. The Maldives, an atoll country has been described as one of the most interesting and diverse reef formations in all of the Indian Ocean. During the course we will provide a brief introduction on coral ecology, focusing on corals, sponges, echinoderms, reef fish and other organisms. We will cover lecturers on coral anatomy, physiology and ecological requirements. We will also assess the roles off these organisms on the reef and cover ways the reefs are being impacted by both antrophogenic and natural factors. Reef health sampling techniques will be discussed and practiced in the field and we will go over numerous experimental designs and sampling schemes aimed at describing the reef community and reef health status as a whole. During the latter end of the week, each student will be expected to prepare a brief, original project in consultation with instructors. Projects may be suggested by observations made during group exercises or from the class lectures, and will be evaluated on the basis of feasibility in the available time, experimental design and concept. During the final two days of the course, data analysis will be carried out and students will present their results orally in an end-of-course symposium.  The course costs $1500 which covers all food and accommodation, however flights (both international and internal) are not included but we can assist with booking. For more information please don't hesitate to contact Dr Michael Sweet, the course instructor at m.sweet at derby.ac.uk<mailto:m.sweet at derby.ac.uk>

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic. If you believe this email was sent to you in error, please notify the sender and delete this email. Please direct any concerns to Infosec at derby.ac.uk.