[Coral-List] STEM Lecturers in Biology at UNC Chapel Hill

John Bruno jbruno at unc.edu
Mon Oct 21 12:26:48 EDT 2013

We have two great positions open for lecturers in the Department of Biology at UNC.  These are non-tenure track, but are permanent and stable positions. The salary is competitive and the teaching load is relatively light: ~ 2X more than TT research faculty in Biology and roughly the same as TT research faculty in many other departments at UNC (e.g., Geography). In Biology, lecturers are fully integrated members of the faculty that attend faculty meetings, and are highly respected members of the teaching/research team. And we hope the new hires will developed funded research on evidence-based teaching methods (in STEM), etc. We currently have one NSF grant on this topic. Teaching and mentoring are highly valued at UNC and our Biology undergraduates are exception. Plus, Chapel Hill / Carrboro is awesome and affordable! Send me an email if you have questions: jbruno at unc.edu

Here is the formal announcement:

The Department of Biology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill seeks applicants for two permanent 9 month Lecturer positions, effective July 1, 2014. The positions involve assisting with innovative Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) course redesign of introductory biology courses and teaching 2-3 classes per semester in courses such as Introductory Biology, Ecology and Evolution, Genetics and Molecular Biology, Cell and Developmental Biology and Human Anatomy and Physiology.. The successful candidates will also contribute to the implementation and evaluation of newly funded programs to bring evidence-based teaching methods to introductory courses, collaborate with faculty conducting biology education research, and work closely with tenure-track faculty in their discipline. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in the biological sciences or science education with at least one semester of full-time college teaching as instructor of record. Candidates should have clearly demonstrated a commitment to using evidence-based teaching methods in the classroom and have strong interdisciplinary content knowledge.

To apply: Click on http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/32182 from any internet browser to apply for this position.

Timeline: We plan to begin evaluating applications in late October, to conduct Skype interviews with roughly a dozen applicants in November and then one-day, on-campus interviews in mid to late Nov or possibly early December. IOW, please get your applications in by early November.

Candidates must submit a letter of interest, a CV, and a concise statement of teaching philosophy and experience along with 2 letters of reference.. In addition, candidates must also submit a link to a 10-minute teaching video as part of the application.

We require 2 letters of reference to be electronically submitted with subject line of “STEM LECTURER” to fncrawf at email.unc.edu

--
John F Bruno, PhD
Professor