[Coral-List] are our hopes for coral reefs false?

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 3 16:20:17 EDT 2013

   Dear Les,
   First  and  foremost,  I can assure you that Iâm among the most ardent
   supporters of the ICRS
   consensus statement. When I first read it, I considered it the Holy Grail
   Iâd been searching for.
   A definitive statement by the leading experts in the marine-sciences that
   would surely compel
   the  diving  industry (and others) to finally end the debate and react
   responsibly with prompt and
   decisive action in the face of the obvious threats that climate change
   presents for coral reefs
   worldwide.  With statement in hand I approached some of the industryâs
   leading personalities in
   the hope that one of these highly respected icons would be able to broker a
   breakthrough.
   Some tried, others considered it too much of a risk and backed away. After
   all, DEMA is primarily
   dedicated to the growth of the industry and apparently short-term business
   considerations dictate
   that the consensus statement of the Chamber of Commerce is more influential
   than that of the
   International Coral Reef Symposium. In their eyes the economic viability of
   the United States
   must depend on coal, natural gas, and petroleum for the foreseeable future
   and that apparently
   trumps the ultimate existence of coral reef ecosystems.

   Guess I should have known that.    What was I thinking?
   So I donât find your response to my question at all comforting. Not that
   encouragement was your
   intention, but if coral reefs are, as you described, circling the drain and
   if their survival is dependent
   on any level of expedient counter-action, then they most certainly will
   vanish. Itâs good to know that
   we might be able to keep some of the good stuff around for a while and that
   a very large proportion of
   reef-dependent species might possibly survive. After all we have to take
   what we can get. Iâm not going
   to pussy foot around with the sport diving community, but I know what to
   expect and it would be helpful
   if more established marine scientists were willing to step up, be heard and
   back the effort.Iâll make my
   appeal with more urgency, but I'm afraid that imagining a world without
   coral reefs seems incredibly to
   alarm but a few.

   They just donât get it.
   Regards,