[Coral-List] Proliferation of Acropora prolifera

Tim Brown - NOAA Affiliate tim.brown at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 4 15:12:13 EDT 2013

Hybrid Vigor?
Even if H.prolifera is not reproducing asexually, maybe the fertilized
gametes have a better chance at survival in the water column, during larval
development, and successful settlement under more varied conditions....and
possibly recruiting more colonies successfully under sub-prime/altered
conditions than the two species?
Any studies on the transmission of zooxanthellae that might be giving
H.prolifera an advantage during development?  Possibly it is just more
tolerant of a greater range of environmental conditions....