[Coral-List] Distressing News for the Whole Pacific

Keven Reed reedkc at comcast.net
Sun Sep 8 19:13:55 EDT 2013

Dear coral-listers,

Since Gene, our Bootstrap Geologist, brought up again the many atmospheric tests of the 1950s and early 1960's it may interest some to know that cosmogenic carbon 14, normally a trace radiocarbon in air, was significantly elevated in the environment from the early weapons testing so that there is now a 'bomb curve' for radiocarbon as it is known with a sudden rise and steep fall off that has been put to good use by a geochemist, Kevin Uno.  He was at University of Utah and is now in post-doc at Columbia U. I believe.  See:  http://unews.utah.edu/news_releases/nuke-test-radiation-can-fight-poachers/

    Thus, poached elephant ivory can now be carbon dated to within + or - one year using accelerator mass spectrometry for ivory from the years of the bomb curve.  This was also publicized in respectable grey literature, the Science and technology section of The Economist, p 76 of the July 6th 2013 issue.  However, here is the citation from the PNAS if one prefers:
Kevin T. Uno and six co-authors:
Bomb-curve radiocarbon measurement of recent biologic tissues and applications to wildlife forensics and stable isotope (paleo)ecology PNAS 2013 110 (29) 11736-11741

    Perhaps many of you were taught as I was that an ionizing isotope is generally considered safe after about ten half-lives have passed; e.g., Iodine-131 eight days x 10 = 80 days, Cesium-137 thirty years x 10 = 300 years,
and Cobalt-60 5.27 years x 10 = 53 years.

    Here's another PNAS citation from Dec 2011 for interested coral-listers/Fukushima observers:
Yasunari TJ et al:  Cesium-137 deposition and contamination of Japanese soils due to the Fukushima nuclear accident.  PNAS 108(49): 19530-19534.
I would love to see someone with access to the isotopes types in the Fukushima reactor do controlled aquarium studies with corals, testing for genetic mutations as well as gross effects on growth and life cycle.

Corals forever,
Keven

Dr. Keven C. Reed
Fleming Island, FL