[Coral-List] Canthigaster rostrata masive death in San Andres Archipelago,

David Obura dobura at cordioea.net
Fri Sep 13 12:34:34 EDT 2013

Hi Frank,

this probably doesn't help with your specific query, but we've had mass mortalities of small/juvenile Canthigaster in Kenya (Indo-Pacific) too - I'm sure i've seen it twice, once in 1993 I think, in Watamu. I didn't see them, and didn't hear of reports of high densities, in the water - but for a few days at most they washed up on the beach by the thousands and thousands, at least over 10s of kilometers, and about the same size as you report. I do recall asking scientists about it and hearing of other events in other locations, though I'm afraid I can't remember much more than that!!

cheers,

David

CORDIO East Africa
#9 Kibaki Flats, Kenyatta Beach, Bamburi Beach
P.O.BOX 10135 Mombasa 80101, Kenya
www.cordioea.net       //      www.iucn.org/cccr
Mobile: +254-715 067417
Email: dobura at cordioea.net; davidobura at gmail.com